Name:

Hi! My name is Kari and I am a Stay-at-Home wife and mother. I have 1 daughter for now and am constantly struggling to make my new lifestyle work for me.

Friday, May 19, 2006

The 80's

A friend sent this to me over e-mail yesterday and I was going to include the whole questionnaire, but I ended up writing a long answer to one question.

17. What was your favorite toy as a child? Which begs the question - what ever happened to all those cool 80's toys - you know, Rainbow Bright, Slinky, Lite Brite... Anyway, I was about all things Barbie. Incidentally, my brother was all about He-man Masters of the Universe. Every once in awhile we would play together - I with my Barbies and he with his He-Men. I think my Barbie's first boyfriend was Skeletor! Of couse, Skeletor was usually trying to hit and kill Barbie, but whatever. Oh, and he was also into those stupid guns that shot plastic pellats. He used to shoot me with those things all the time, but I did get revenge - if he would make the mistake of shooting them into my room, I would pick them up and store them in my Barbie toilet. He never did know what happened to them. Eventually he ran out of bullets, then moved on to those stupid guns with the hard plastic disks - those hurt even worse than the pellats, so I am not sure if I actually got revenge or not. Oh well - fun times. Gotta love the 80's.

Speaking of the 80's (which we are because this is MY blog), weren't the 80's the best? I remember dressing up in my tight stirrup pants with the oversized, long-sleeved, button up the front, brightly colored (usually with black stars or hearts) cotton shirts, the scrunchie socks, the little flat shoes with no support and the side ponytail with the scrunchie. We also had those cool little twirley things that looked like small shoe laces that had been wound around a pencil. We would wear those on our shoes and around our pony tails. It was the height of fashion to wear those twirley things that matched our clothes. Seriously, I don't know why 80's style didn't stick around...

I remember going to the local high school football game and practice baton twirling. I don't know why, but we were really into Baton Twirling at my elementary school. We didn't go to the game to watch any football (unless my mom would come over and make me watch my uncle playing or something). Then we would go home in time to watch the Dukes - oh and the sleepovers - playing Frogger and the Burger game (I can't remember the name of it).

Ah yes, the good old days. I miss them sometimes... Thanks for taking a trip down memory lane with me today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was called Burger Time...

5/19/2006 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home