Name:

Hi! My name is Kari and I am a Stay-at-Home wife and mother. I have 1 daughter for now and am constantly struggling to make my new lifestyle work for me.

Friday, May 05, 2006

First Post - Transition to Stay at home Mom

Gaa, Gaa. Goo, Goo. Ma Ma? Ma Ma?

Oh wait! And people wonder why I think I need to have contact with the outside world. Anyway, I am a brand spankin’ new blogger. Why did I decide to blog? Well, I am not exactly sure, but it might have something to do with the first line above. Maybe I am seeking validation for some of the decisions I have made in my life. Maybe I just need a (captive?) audience to listen to my rants and questions. Maybe I am just bored. I don’t know…

My name is Kari and I am a wife and stay at home mom. (Hey – Is there a 12 step program for this?) Anyway, I am married and have a 6 month old daughter, I am calling her Button in this blog. We live in a moderate sized city smack dab in the middle of America. I have been staying home since January 27, 2006 and am trying to improve the experience for myself. It has been difficult for me because in my former life, I was a professional working between 40 and 60 hours a week (depending on the season). I loved the adrenaline rush of working fast and furious to meet a deadline and having something to show for your effort at the end of the day. Needless to say, I am struggling with the transition. And before anyone asks, it was my decision to stay home – my hubby had input, of course, but he kept telling me that I was the one that had to make the final decision.

Things I struggle with:
1) I do not need to provide constant mental stimulation for the baby 100% of the time when she is not sleeping – babies need down time, too.
2) Staying at home does not mean you are on vacation.
3) Keeping the house moderately clean.
4) Cleaning and then cleaning again and again and again are part of the job.
5) Nobody will notice said cleaning until the house looks bad, then will comment on lack of cleaning.
6) The number of things you have to get done in a day are inversely proportional to the hours that baby will nap.
7) To schedule baby or not to schedule baby, that is the question… (probably too late now, but still…)

Until next time….

5 Comments:

Anonymous Papist said...

Good Blog.

I see how it can be frusterating. Have you confronted your family about these issues?

5/05/2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Yes, my hubby is gone all the time for work...

5/05/2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Welcome to blogging. As a fellow SAHM, I can tell you that blogging will be therapuetic. I didn't think I would handle staying home with them all day everyday (and there are moments where I don't handle it well) but you can do it. I've "met" some great moms through here (some sahm, some not), it's nice to get the validation from others that hey, you're doing the right thing, you're not gonna raise a serial killer. So welcome. I hope you enjoy blogging.

5/05/2006 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Beth said...

I like your blog. I have read through all your postings and feel a kinship there. I never thought of the acronym SAHM. I feel like I'm part of a club now! I must tell you the SAHM phases I have gone through. Guilt, setting out to clean one thing a day in addition to the normal stuff (microwave, refrigerator door, a shelf, shake out the toaster, myself..), organize a storage closet, reconnect with old friends by inviting someone each weekend (we again have lost touch), see how long I can go without driving, organizing my childhood photos in case I die suddenly (too much Oprah), daytrips to neighborhoods I always wanted to check out, scrapbooking (which I'm not real good at), reading all the Harry Potter books, gardening, joining a concert band, joining the soccer board, reading the Bible straight through, selling on eBay, watching all the Best Picture winners of the last 50 years, and blogging (mostly reading).

I feel like I have to accomplish something tangible or easily measured, since raising kids goes as slowly as growing a tree. I love it, though.

5/12/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Funny Beth - I set those same goals for myself. I started out with a cleaning schedule - Kitchen and Laundry on Mondays, Dust and floors on Tuesdays, Vacuum on Wednesdays... etc, and then in the afternoons, I was going to do some special project, like scrapbooking. It worked for a week... Now, I do what I can when I can...

5/12/2006 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home