Name:

Hi! My name is Kari and I am a Stay-at-Home wife and mother. I have 1 daughter for now and am constantly struggling to make my new lifestyle work for me.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Here fishy, fishy, fishy

Have you ever seen those little silver fish that you put on the back of your car? You know, the ones that signify that you are in fact a Christian and are willing to broadcast that fact to everyone that you meet? I think they are so cute - especially when you have the two big fish and the two little fish (or a fish for each child that you have - however many that may be). Unfortunately, I could never put those on my car. Not because I am not a Christian, because I am. No, I could never put those on my car because it would advertise the fact that I am a hypocrite. Here are some examples of why I will never be able to have fish on the back of my car:

Exhibit A: I am driving along a 4 lane highway, which eventually turns into 2 lanes. I get into the proper lane about a mile ahead of time and am patiently waiting for the traffic ahead of me to go, because as I said, everyone knows that the right lane ends, and since I am from the conservative midwest, everyone gets into the lane way in advance except for that one car... You know the one I am talking about - the one that is going 60 miles an hour in the right lane, passing everyone, talking on the cell phone and smoking. That person will swerve into your lane (without using a blinker) seconds before their lane ends. To avoid this, I tailgate the person in front of me and am bound and determined that I am NOT going to let this person in. They should have to wait in line just like the rest of us. Inevitably, I end up slowing down and letting them in, but not without my share of 4 letter words and bird flying.

Exhibit B: I am driving along a 4 lane highway, which eventually turns into 2 lanes. I am hurrying along in the right lane talking on my cell phone and I forget that the lane ends. I signal to be let in, and NO ONE will let me in. Seriously peopleā€¦ So I finally signal and cut someone off, in the mean time, waving and saying thank you at the person behind me who is flying the bird at me.

Ah yes, can you see the duplicity that is Kari? This is something that I am working on. I definitely do not want my daughter to see her mother flying the bird and saying four letter words. Maybe I should get some of those fish on the back of my car as a reminder to provide a good example for my daughter. If that is the case, then I am going to need to buy in bulk because I need lots of reminders.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Beth said...

I think you are still in work detox. After 2 1/2 years of staying home with my son, I am so relaxed when I'm driving that unless someone does something really stupid and reckless, it doesn't bother me. I think I've become the old lady driver. In my passive-aggressive way I love waving thank you frantically to someone knowing that he'd just love to ram the back of my car. It's got to make them even angrier.

My son has definitely picked up my phrases. I had no idea that my reaction to the "Refuel Now" reminder was always the same until one day it beeped and my son said, "Oh, geez." He sounded like he was really ticked off!

Keep writing!

5/12/2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Thanks! I am getting better about the driving thing - actually the reason I decided to write this post is because I was driving one day and a lady with those little fishies on her car flew past me, and it reminded me of the girl I used to be.

5/12/2006 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home